I’m excited to be joining some other bloggers this week in a dollar store Christmas decorating series of posts. Some of you may have found me from The Cottage Market. To both the faithful and new readers, “Welcome!”
If any of your dollar stores still have stockings and Santa hats available, run snatch up a few. I have two cute and easy projects to share.
Dollar Store Christmas Stocking Pillow
1. I stuffed a cute green sequined stocking from Dollar Tree with polyester batting. I have bags and bags of this stuff – it’s one of my go-to crafting supplies. I stuffed right up until the transition from the stocking to the cuff. Try to make sure that the stuffing is even throughout the stocking.
2. Then, I flipped the cuff up and sewed a seam where it meets the stocking. Remember, these dollar store stockings won’t have finished seams, so you may have to clip a ton of loose threads. If you don’t sew, I’m certain you could glue gun this if you make sure that the seam was good and tight.
3. I turned the cuff right side out and -Ta Da!- I had an adorable stocking throw pillow.
Dollar Store Santa Hat Pillow
The Christmas stocking pillow was so quick and easy, that I decided a Santa hat pillow would be just as cute.
1. I laid my Santa hat out and folded the pom pom end over a bit so that it looked floppy. I drew that line (it’s diagonal) with a pencil. Then, I stuffed just the top portion of the hat and sewed a seam on the line to keep that bit of stuffing in place.
2. I folded the hat over at the seam and used a needle and thread to tack (sew into place in one little spot) the folded over top to the bottom of the hat.
3. Then, I stuffed the hat just like I did the stocking, stopping right where the fur cuff meets the red felt hat. Don’t overstuff because these hats are made of cheap felt and it might start pulling apart. I flipped down the cuff and sewed the seem right where the cuff meets the hat. To make the cuff lay a little flatter and help the pillow hold its shape, I tacked the front and back cuffs together at the edges of the hat.
Adorable and EASY, right? I made these pillows for my kids’ playroom, and they look so cute on the sofa – super fun and whimsical.
Ready for some more cute dollar store Christmas decorations? Head over to Imparting Grace to see what Richella has come up with today – that girl always has great ideas! And then on Friday, all eight Dollar Store Decorating participants are going to have a joint linky party. We’d love for you to stop by and link up to any dollar store Christmas decorations you’ve put together.
Until then, send happy wishes my way! A stomach virus has hit EVERY member of my family, and we are just a mess. Luckily, the kids are starting to feel better – wish I could say the same for Mom and Dad!
andrea cammarata says
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! Now this was worth waiting for!!!!! This project is simply AWESOME…I mean I would never have thought of this — this is really amazing…so easy…so affordable and so FABULOUS!!!! Look at that couch..what PIZZAZ!!!! My brain never revolves around sewing (brain dead in the area) but this…I can even do this! you get 5 shiny aqua Christmas Balls for your project! lol!!! wishing you and yours a happy tummy in the NEAR future…who knows if you are really good Santa might bring you that “new car smell” back!!! : ) Hugs to you and once again …incredible job and so happy to be sharing this week of fun with you!!!
Sam M. | Atkinson Drive says
BRILLIANT!!! I have been looking for something to spruce up our couches for Christmas for a long time, without having to purchase/make pillows or blankets…doing this! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!!!
Lindsay, this is fabulous! and look how fantastic it looks in your home. I never would have thought of these and what great gifts they would be too! I think we will have to make a few to go with the Christmas-y pillows I picked up yesterday … kicking myself for not waiting for this post. I could have saved a lot of $$$. So fun to do this with you!
These Christmas pillows are so cute! My grandkids would love playing with them. Thank you for sharing inspiration!
Christine @ Let's Get Crafty! says
Whoa where did you get that sofa???
I love it!
Oh my gosh this is so clever! I wouldn’t have thought of it. But it’s so simple and cute. Love it! Lisa~
the Blah Blah Blahger says
How simple and yet, fabulous!!!
Beverly @ The Buzz says
Great idea! I’m off to rescue the old stockings I’ve put in the ‘to donate’ pile!
Can’t wait to make these!!! It will really brighten up our livingroom!!! Thanks so much!
I am sure the grandbabies would love them BUT they are going right on my front room sofa! So cute and easy even I can make them. Thank you!!! <3
Karen - The Graphics Fairy says
Those are adorable Lindsay!! They look so festive and fun on your sofa!
This is such a cute idea! I don’t know if I can handle th stores anymore but I might suck it up to grab a couple stockings soon!