I’ve long had a personal aversion to the bathroom lights that the builder installed above the mirrors in our bathrooms. For starters, they are very traditionally styled with white frosted glass shades. Interesting light fixtures are one of my favorite parts of a room, so these just really bum me out. Plus, they cast the light downward, so all I see are bags under my eyes when I look in the mirror. Obviously, these fixtures’ days are numbered.
I’m working on redoing my kids’ shared bathroom right now, so I set out to replace one of these builders grade bathroom lights. Turns out, I actually dislike most reasonably priced vanity fixtures that are available! Most of them are way too traditional for my taste (and again with the downlight that ages me 20 years each time I look in the mirror).
As I shopped around, I found a few that I thought were just plain awesome. Here are some of my favorites:
1. George Kovacs Cubism Three Light Bath Vanity in Chrome – available at AllModern.com
2. George Kovacs 6.5″ Vanity Light in Chrome – available at AllModern.com
3. George Kovacs 15.5″ Vanity Light – available at AllModern.com
4. Stella – available at Rejuvenation
5. Allen + Roth 3-Light Brushed Nickel Bathroom Vanity Light – available at Lowe’s
6. Portfolio 3-Light Brushed Nickel Bathroom Vanity Light – available at Lowe’s
Those are all so much better than the standard builders’ grade version, right? In the end, I wanted something a little midcentury modern to go in the kids’ bathroom, so I chose this model from Amazon for just $25:
Fun, right? I’m sure some of you are thinking I’m crazy for loving this. Others of you see why I love it. But, once I get the bathroom together, you’ll all “get it.” Or, I hope you will. It was incredibly easy to install, and just this change has made the bathroom look so much better. Lighting makes a huge difference, y’all!
What are your thoughts on vanity lighting? Do you like down lights? Up lights? Light bars? What say you?