When I started DIYing, I quickly learned that not everything goes according to plan. Like the paint saturated roller cover that fell off my roller cage this weekend. Or the umpteen million cuts I’ve made too short. I generally don’t share those things, because they are just stupid things I didn’t think through. But recently, I had a craft fail so bad that I just had to tell someone.
You may remember when Kelly sent me the box of goodies for our thrift store swap. I made a pendant light out of the ice bucket that was in the box. I also had a covered wooden cheese plate and an Elvis silhouette.
After I finished the ice bucket light, I set my sights on the cheese plate. I thought it would make a really cool candle plate to house a group of mismatched candles.
I went though my candle stash (which is pretty large for someone who doesn’t have many candles in the house) and picked a few different sizes and colors. I cut down some taper candles so that they would fit under the glass dome, and I hot glued everything into place on the plate.
Now at this point, I should have been able to tell that things were going badly. There was hot glue all over the place for crying out loud! But, I thought I could fix it. With fire.
I didn’t count on the big candle being sheared by the other candles. And I didn’t consider that all of the candle wax would pool in the grove where the glass dome was to rest.
I should have stopped here and thrown it out. But no. I didn’t. I kept letting those candles burn until wax covered the entire plate.
But, I still couldn’t convince myself to give up. I cut the wicks and peeled up the wayward wax. Did that make it look better?
It was at this point that I decided to throw in the towel. I tried to do something unique and it turned out…well, it did turn out unique – but not exactly the type of unique I was going for.
So, now that I’ve embarrassed myself, it’s your turn. I want to hear about your worst craft or DIY fail. I know you have some stories…and if you don’t, then you aren’t taking enough risks!