I’m excited to be joining some other bloggers this week in a dollar store Christmas decorating series of posts. Some of you may have found me from The Cottage Market. To both the faithful and new readers, “Welcome!”
If any of your dollar stores still have stockings and Santa hats available, run snatch up a few. I have two cute and easy projects to share.
Dollar Store Christmas Stocking Pillow
1. I stuffed a cute green sequined stocking from Dollar Tree with polyester batting. I have bags and bags of this stuff – it’s one of my go-to crafting supplies. I stuffed right up until the transition from the stocking to the cuff. Try to make sure that the stuffing is even throughout the stocking.
2. Then, I flipped the cuff up and sewed a seam where it meets the stocking. Remember, these dollar store stockings won’t have finished seams, so you may have to clip a ton of loose threads. If you don’t sew, I’m certain you could glue gun this if you make sure that the seam was good and tight.
3. I turned the cuff right side out and -Ta Da!- I had an adorable stocking throw pillow.
Dollar Store Santa Hat Pillow
The Christmas stocking pillow was so quick and easy, that I decided a Santa hat pillow would be just as cute.
1. I laid my Santa hat out and folded the pom pom end over a bit so that it looked floppy. I drew that line (it’s diagonal) with a pencil. Then, I stuffed just the top portion of the hat and sewed a seam on the line to keep that bit of stuffing in place.
2. I folded the hat over at the seam and used a needle and thread to tack (sew into place in one little spot) the folded over top to the bottom of the hat.
3. Then, I stuffed the hat just like I did the stocking, stopping right where the fur cuff meets the red felt hat. Don’t overstuff because these hats are made of cheap felt and it might start pulling apart. I flipped down the cuff and sewed the seem right where the cuff meets the hat. To make the cuff lay a little flatter and help the pillow hold its shape, I tacked the front and back cuffs together at the edges of the hat.
Adorable and EASY, right? I made these pillows for my kids’ playroom, and they look so cute on the sofa – super fun and whimsical.
Ready for some more cute dollar store Christmas decorations? Head over to Imparting Grace to see what Richella has come up with today – that girl always has great ideas! And then on Friday, all eight Dollar Store Decorating participants are going to have a joint linky party. We’d love for you to stop by and link up to any dollar store Christmas decorations you’ve put together.
Until then, send happy wishes my way! A stomach virus has hit EVERY member of my family, and we are just a mess. Luckily, the kids are starting to feel better – wish I could say the same for Mom and Dad!